Deeks Peak - 1672M
192M Prominence
49.52779, -123.20527
June 10, 2026
Mount Windsor - 1689M
249M Prominence
49.52343, -123.19186
June 10, 2026
1860M Ascent and descent
7H 9M C2C, 6H 40M Moving
22.7KM
I was looking for an objective not too far from Squamish that I could easily do as a day trip in the not so optimal forecast I was seeing. I then thought to myself why not do another Howe Sound Crest Trail double header and knock off two of the northern most peaks. Stella then ended up changing plans at the last minute and decided to join me for part of the day as well. I parked at the Northern Terminus for the HSCT and we got hiking. The trail starts on the highway basically at sea level, and makes it's way up to Deeks lake. The first half of the trail is quite uneventful and follows an old road for the majority of the way, but from the trail junction at 450M up to Deeks lake it becomes more enjoyable. The latter part offered some steeper hiking alongside part of the "Phi Alpha Falls", the waterfall coming out of Deeks lake. As soon as we hit Deeks lake my sister ditched me, and I ditched the HSCT. I made a short but soaking wet bushwhack an overgrown trail along the northern side of the lake to find the Windsor trail. As soon as I left the lake side the trail became fantastic and was very easy to follow. The 400M of ascent from Deeks lake to the Deeks - Windsor col is actually a very enjoyable trail. There was no bushwhacking to be done, the elevation gain is pleasantly consistent, and the forest is a pleasure to walk in. I decided to get Deeks peak out of the way first as it interested me less and I was hoping the clouds would clear off later. The route up to Deeks peak was a little challenging to follow, partly due to a decent amount of it still being covered in snow from 1500M and upwards. The traverse on the east ridge of Deeks offered some cool views of the summit itself, and not much else, as it had started to get pretty socked in. Near the summit of Deeks I navigated a few 3rd class moves and then soon after I was on the summit. There was nothing to be seen from the top, and the summit register was a ball of wet paper, so I pretty quickly made my way back down to the col where I had come from. As soon as I made it back to the col I met back up with Stella who had decided she wanted to climb a peak and had hiked up the trail. We turned South East and began to make our way up Mount Windsor. There was about 220 meters from the col to the summit, and most all of it was Snowy, as it is North West facing. This aspect offered some fun terrain and some quick snow climbing on the mushy, semi steep snow. We kind of avoided the summer route for the most part and just made our way up the most direct line up the snow. The last 50 or so meters to the summit was dry rock, but still all second class terrain. By the time we were on the Windsor summit it was not even 1PM yet, so the clouds were just starting to clear out. We hung around for a bit and had lunch while we caught the odd glimpse of north shore peaks as the clouds danced around. We then started the descent and quickly glissaded back down to the col where there was no more snow. Stella and I then cruised back down the trail in very good time and I even found some nice Oyster mushrooms on the side of the trail for dinner.
 |
| The trail was quite enjoyable |
 |
| Stella coming up the trail, with the Deek's lake waterfall behind |
 |
| Deeks Lake, with Brunswick Mountain peeking out in behind |
.jpeg) |
| Looking up ahead at Deeks Peak |
.jpeg) |
| Looking across at Mount Windsor |
 |
| Deeks Peak summit |
.jpeg) |
| The summit register was wet pulp |
.jpeg) |
| Some of the forested bumps of the North shore that I am uninterested in but make for cool terrain |
.jpeg) |
| Stella starting up Windsor |
.jpeg) |
| Mount Windsor summit in sight |
 |
| Me hiking up Mount Windsor. Photo Stella Mazurek |
 |
| Stella on Mount Windsor summit |
.jpeg) |
| Looking through the clouds towards Hanover from the summit |
.jpeg) |
| Stella impersonating a tree on trail |
 |
Deeks Peak and Mount Windsor route
|
Comments
Post a Comment